Cocoon Time Coconut Curried Lentils & Rice
This is a delicious, healing, and restorative meal, especially for women postpartum. The warming spices in curry powder, particularly turmeric, aid in digestion, promote healthy flora, and are anti-inflammatory, all beneficial to healing during COCOON TIME (those first six weeks after your baby is born). I have lots of friends and family requesting this meal and recipe, whether they just had a baby or not. It is great during any season since it is cooked in a crock pot and won't heat up your kitchen. Enjoy! For more information on the Cocoon Time Method program for expecting Mamas, GO HERE.
Coconut Curried Lentils & Rice
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4-5 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high in the crockpot
Yield: Serves 6-8
• 2 onions, diced
• 1 tbs. olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, diced
• 1 tbs. fresh grated ginger (or more if you want more of a kick!)
• 2 tbsp curry powder
• 2 cups rice
• 1 cup red lentils
• 6 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth, or add 2 vegan bouillon cubes to water (I prefer the Rapunzel brand vegan bouillon cubes with salt)
• 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (I suggest Native Forest brand. It is organic and the can is BPA free)
• 2 teaspoons maple syrup
• 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
• sea salt to taste
· In a large frying pan, sauté the onions, until tender, 3-5 minutes.
· Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for another minute.
· Add the curry powder and stir until completely coated.
· Put onion, garlic, and ginger mixture into a crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir together and set on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours and enjoy!