Nourishing Tip for Health
“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
I encourage you to eat mindfully & choose foods that give you energy, mental clarity, and make you feel full of life and creativity! I know some of you are thinking "The food I eat can do all of those things for me?" The answer is YES!
I did a 30 day raw food and green juice cleanse last month that was healing and transformative. In the 30 day cleanse I lost 12 pounds, reduced inflammation and essentially eradicated chronic lower back pain I have struggled with since my second daughter was born over two years ago (!), and experienced a light heart, mental clarity, and amazing energy like never before. Take a look at my deliciously healing green juice! I offer this transformation through food to my clients, but you don't need to do a cleanse today to feel the amazing energy, clarity, and vitality I am talking about.
Why don't you start by incorporating green juice and/or smoothies into your daily routine and see how that feels? Summer is the best time to do this, as there is an abundance of fresh, local produce and our bodies crave raw food energy during the hot months. Check out my go to green juice recipe below and I'll let you know the equipment you need to turn your veggies and fruits into an amazing life-force of a drink! If you don't want to juice but you're interested in making smoothies there’s also a green smoothie recipe below! To ensure that you make the space and time in your life for green juice and/or smoothies, plan ahead. Wash and chop up all of your veggies on a Sunday and have them ready to go for easy juice and smoothie prep. You can even make a week's worth of green juice, pour it into glass mason jars (12-16 0z.), cover, and freeze them. Just take your mason jar out each night and your green juice is ready to go in the morning before you can even contemplate brewing a cup of coffee!
Vegetables are the foundation of healthy, balanced nutrition and we all need an abundance of dark leafy greens in our daily diets. Do you want an easy way to ensure you are getting a daily dose of these super nutritious greens? Here it is! The Nourished Home's Super Green Smoothie! I encourage you to adjust the recipe to your liking and use seasonal fruits when possible. For example, I add local apples and cranberries into my smoothie during the fall and winter seasons.
Another fabulous feature of the super green smoothie is that people of all ages love it. There are plenty of days when my children are not in the mood to eat all of the veggies on their lunch or dinner plate but I can breathe easy knowing that they are getting a great dose of greens from their delicious smoothie. For toddlers, you can use a baby bottle and cut the top of off the nipple for easy drinking. Experiment with this recipe and make it your own. Be sure to include dark leafy greens in your daily diet, one way or the other... I always like to go with the easy solution, so here is my shortcut to daily greens for you and yours!
The Nourished Home’s Super Green Smoothie
Prep time: 8 minutes
Yeild: 4 servings
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup Frozen berries (I prefer wild Maine blueberries, but use whatever appeals to you)
- 1 apple or pear, quartered
- 1/2 bunch of kale (experiment with different varieties!)
- 1 tbs hemp seeds (go here for hemp seeds)
- A drizzle of pure maple syrup or raw honey
- Water & ice
- Put the banana, frozen berries, and chopped apple or pear into your blender.
- Wash kale and pull leaves off of stems. Fill your blender halfway with the kale.
- Pour almond milk hemp seeds, and maple syrup or honey on top of the fruit.
- Fill the remaining space in blender with water and ice.
- Mix smoothie at high speed until you reach your desired consistency. Some people enjoy a smoothie with little bits of green to chew on. Others like their smoothie really smooth. See what works best for you!
- Poor smoothie into a glass and enjoy. Pour the remaining smoothie into a glass mason jar, cover, and place in fridge to enjoy throughout the day.
Note: It is best to drink the entire smoothie within 12-24 hours of making it. This smoothie is a hit with the adults and kids in my household. It makes me so happy when I see my little ones drinking down all of that super food goodness. Try variations with different greens and fruits to see what flavor combination is most loved at your home.
For Nourished Mamas: Feel free to substitute some wholefat yogurt or kefir for the almond milk to your smoothie for added calcium and protein for your growing baby.
The Nourished Home's Super Green Juice
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 bag baby spinach
- ½ bunch kale
- ½ bunch of celery
- 1 lemon, quartered with seeds removed
- 1 apple or pear, quartered with seeds removed
- Wash all produce and cut up to fit through the feeder on your juicer.
- Push the produce through the juicer, alternating fruit and veggies so that the more fibrous items such as kale move through the feed tube more easily.
- Stir your juice and serve immediately!
Note: You will need a high-powered juicer to make this recipe. Many people love the Breville brand juicer. I have a Champion juicer that I love. It is best to drink the entire green juice within 12-24 hours of making it. When these nutrient dense foods are juiced, all of the fiber is removed so you get a pure shot of live enzymes and nutrients. Your body doesn’t need to expend energy to digest the juice so it is a wonderful thing to drink first thing in the morning. Drink the green juice and wait 20-30 minutes before you eat anything else so that you are able to get the full benefits of the pure juice before putting your body to work at digesting other foods. If green juice is new to you and you want to try it, I suggest adding another apple to the recipe to make it a little sweeter. Enjoy!